The UOWD library is for the use of enrolled students, alumni and staff of the University of Wollongong in Dubai.
- Users may borrow up to 7 items from the Main collection. Most main collection items are available for 14 days. Some clearly marked high-demand items are also kept in the Main section for 3 day loan.
- In addition to any loans from the main collection, users may borrow up to 3 Closed Reserve System (CRS) items. CRS items can be borrowed for 2 hours but may only be used in the library during the day. Overnight CRS loans may be taken in the last half hour before closing and are due when the library next opens.
- Items can be returned to the Circulation desk during opening hours or to the Returns Boxes situated in block 5 and in Block 15 at all other times.
- Library privileges expire at the end of each semester.
Fines for overdue items
- Main collection items have fines levied at the rate of AED 2- per day per item (i.e. 1 late items will cost AED 2- per day, while 3 late items will cost AED 6- per day)
- 3 day loan items have fines levied at the rate of AED 20- per day per item except on Saturdays. AED 2 will be levied for Saturdays.
- Fines for overdue CRS items are AED 2- per hour. During the day and AED 20-per hour for overnight CRS.
- Items can be renewed twice in addition to the initial loan if they are not already overdue or reserved for another user.
- There are 4 methods of renewing your loans on or before the date noted on the return slip:
- Bring your items to the library, or
- Renew online by logging into your library account
- Phone the library during working hours with the items to hand so the new date can be immediately noted or
- Present your student card at the circulation desk to renew your loans. Recorded phone messages cannot be accepted.
- Items that are already overdue cannot be renewed. The item/s must be returned and fines paid before the item can be re-issued.
- Items that are reserved by another user cannot be renewed.
- Patrons can place the hold on library items online. However, users are encouraged to confirm it with library staff on status of their holds. Online holds placed on available library items are not considered and a user has to bring books from the library shelves to circulation desk.
- If an item you want is out on loan, please ask at the circulation desk or phone to reserve it. If possible please provide the barcode number as listed in the catalogue.
- CRS items cannot be reserved.
Lost or damaged material
- Fines continue to accrue until the item is returned or lost item paid for. Maximum fine is the replacement cost of the item. Notify the library as soon as possible if you think you have lost an item. Lost or damaged books must be paid for.
Group study rooms
- Groups of two to six people may work as a group in the study rooms. These can be booked online or a maximum 2 hours per study group and can be booked up to 2 days in advance.
- 10 minutes waiting period for occupying group study rooms, from the time of booking.
Computers and printing
- Library computers provide access to the Internet, the Library catalogue and databases only. No games or chat.
- Black and white printing costs 1 dirham for 20 sheets; printing papers are provided by the library. Library does not sell printing sheets.Students have to charge their account at Accounts office or the library when Accounts office is closed during evenings.
- Laptops may be borrowed for a period of up to 3 hours and cannot be renewed.
- One laptop to be borrowed at a time.
- Laptops cannot be reserved in advance - they are lent on a first come, first served basis
- Laptops are available only when library multimedia lab is fully occupied or while using group study rooms.
- A fine of AED 20 per hour will be levied for each hour or part of an hour for which this laptop is overdue.
Scanning or colour printing
- Scanning to disk is free. Colour printouts cost 2 dirham per page. Students have to log in to the multimedia computer using their Student ID and password provided by IT department.
- There is a coin-operated copier in the library. Copying costs 50 fils per page.
Please note that the UAE has strict laws prohibiting breaking of copyright.
Learning more about using the library
- Workshops teaching users how to access our databases and catalogues are held throughout each session. The workshops also deal with search techniques and management of your UNIX password. Contact the library to enquire about a workshop time that suits you.
- One-to-one: Simply ask at the desk for individual help. You can also make an appointment for an in-depth one to one session with a librarian. This is completely free.
- Guides: There are many user guides and information handouts freely available in the library.
- Library staff are happy to answer questions and assist you with your information needs.
Contacting the library
- Tel: (04) 367 2492
- Email: [email protected]